Sunday, September 8, 2024

Pao Zanki | Take Me Out / 2019 [animated short film]

and afterwords he drove him home

by Douglas Messerli

 

Pao Zanki (animator) Take Me Out / 2019 [4.30 minutes] [animated short film]

 

Los Angeles-based Pao Zanki (who prefers the designation of “they”) has created an animated film in Take Me Out that represents a pop-cute rendition of The Smiths’ and Morrissey’s “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.”



     Below are the lyrics of the first few stanzas if you need reminding of that wonderful 1992 release.

 

Take me out tonight

Where there's music and there's people

Who are young and alive

 

Driving in your car

I never, never want to go home

Because I haven't got one anymore

 

Take me out tonight

Because I want to see people

And I want to see light

 

Driving in your car

Oh, please don't drop me home

Because it’s not my home, it’s their home

And I'm welcome no more

 

And if a double-decker bus

Crashes into us

To die by your side

Is such a heavenly way to die

 












 


   Zanki, creating two very young boys to signify their take on the story, show one boy calling for the other, as they race away in his car to a party filled with booze, a couple of drunks already laying face down on the grass in the yard. The elder boy gets the younger one a beer, and they sit together a moment on the couch, certainly in the mood for live, but as in The Smith’s song “…then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask.” The younger boy does, however, manage to whisper into the elder’s ear, and they quickly leave the party, driving off into the countryside in the older boy’s car. The joy of the younger boy’s face certainly represents the feelings of the original song’s “Oh, take me anywhere. I don't care, I don't care, I don't care.”

      The younger one shows the other boy his favorite spot, where they sit on the grass and finally, as the sun slowly rises, manage to sneak in a final kiss.



       This is definitely a Hallmark Cards version, I’m afraid, of Morrissey’s far darker original, a song about the now without any concern for a future.

 

Los Angeles, September 8, 2024

Reprinted from My Queer Cinema blog (September 2024).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Index [listed alphabetically by director]

This summary is not available. Please click here to view the post.