drama queen
by Douglas Messerli
Claude Miller (screenwriter and director) La
meilleure façon de marcher (The Best Way to Walk) / 1976
Claude Miller’s 1976 film, La meilleure
façon de marcher (The Best Way to Walk) is one of the few films I’ve
ever encountered in which I could not properly interpret its signifiers in
order to comprehend what it was attempting to express.
When Philippe suggests that instead of separating their students into
those committed to the arts and those to sports that they join forces to permit
their underlings a wider range of experiences—a suggestion, one suspects, that
is aimed of working nearer to his torturer and source of unrequited love—the
viewer almost holds his breath in anticipation of all-out war. And, in fact,
that is almost what happens as Philippe, thrown into the swimming pool by Marc,
almost drowns, and Marc, at a school going-away party, is stabbed in the leg by
Philippe while translating Shylock’s poignant questions about his being Jewish
into those of a confused gay man.
I
must admit, however, there are a few things I have left out in my telling of
this basic plot. One night, when the lights fail during a poker game, Marc
knocks on Philippe’s door to borrow some candles, only to discover him, all
alone, costumed in a woman’s dress and makeup. Although he does not share what
he has discovered with the others, it becomes the basis for his bullying of
Philippe, and also results in a somewhat strange bribe for his continued silence:
that someday his fellow camp counselor may be able to provide some unspecified
“services.”
Now I know that perhaps dressing up his character in drag was director
Miller’s way of tipping us off that his “hero” was sexually confused. But it is
difficult to know why he chose this method. Do most budding homosexuals dress
up in women’s garb alone each night? Contrarily, I believe that those gays who
practice cross-dressing do so that they might share it the outrageousness or
success of their portrayal of the opposite sex with others. To my way of thinking,
it is an open expression of something transgender figures have been previously
forced to hide, and feel freed in public to express through imitation. And, of
course, there are many wonderfully convincing drag queens who are
heterosexual.
I
think it is similar to the fact that when men and women who have long felt
uncomfortable with their assigned sex become transsexuals one of the first
things they want to share with others is the fact of that transformation (see
my essay-review of Pedro Almodóvar’s The Skin I Live In from 2011).
In my admittedly limited experience with these things, I have never
heard of a drag queen who performs his art solo. But even more importantly,
Miller has previously given us no evidence that Philippe might even be
interested in garbing himself in women’s apparel, unless you imagine that in
casting a young boy in an all-male camp as a princess he is speaking of his own
private desires. Throughout the film, in fact, he continues to deny that he is
gay and attempts, albeit unsuccessfully, to have sex with Chantal. Even if we
might imagine that Phillipe is so smitten with Marc that he is rehearsing (an
activity in which he daily immerses his students) a way to lure him closer—a
bit like Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s Erwin who has a transsexual operation to
become Elvira in hopes of attracting his former lover Anton Saitz—Philippe’s
actions come as an inexplicable surprise in this movie.
The last scene of this indiscernible work is the most confusing, at
least to me. It appears that, despite all odds, Phillippe and Chantal, now
living in Paris, have become a couple and are looking for an apartment. The
real estate agent they have chosen is Marc, who shows them the space and
congratulates them on their marriage. Marriage? What marriage? asks Chantal. As
if on signal, she leaves the apartment, while Phillippe waits at the door for
Marc to follow. Marc, forever the ladies’ man so it appears, politely says
“After you” before the credits begin to scroll up.
Has Marc finally recognized Philippe as a feminine force? Is Philippe
still interested in his former adversary? Have Chantal and Philippe decided to
move in together simply as friends? Is the best way of walking to wait until
one is politely asked to proceed? I can only report, I have no clue as to the
answer to any of these questions, and have no idea whether these are even the
proper questions to ask.
I
might add, this picture presented us with lovely sets and camera work, along
with handsome actors and good acting. As I suggested at the beginning of this
short piece, I wanted to like this film. But for what purpose? The only
connecting thread I can find in this mysterious creation is that grown men
often behave more childish than the children of which they require good
behavior. Might I also suggest that these pretty actors lack all credibility as
humans in Miller’s script.
Los Angeles, November 23, 2020
Reprinted from My Queer Cinema blog and
World Cinema Review (November 2020).




No comments:
Post a Comment