Monday, August 3, 2026

Tyler Willam Milliron | Parallel Universe / 2019

leaving the hunk behind

by Douglas Messerli

 

Kyle Motsinger (music and lyrics), Tyler Willam Milliron (director) Parallel Universe / 2019 [4.30 minutes] [music video]

 

In this song by genre-breaking singer Kyle Motsinger, he wonders what might have happened if he had settled down with his gay lover in the small town in which he grew up, realizing that he would simply not have known the joys of his escape to New York City. He realizes that even for the hot lover he has left behind in the country, he couldn’t have survived. As he puts it in the song:


I couldn’t stay here

Even for a guy

In the middle of nowhere

I think my dreams would die

 

Opportunities I couldn’t find here

In a town not ruled by courage but by fear 

 

In another universe

You moved with me

We rented an apartment

In the heart of NYC

 

We’d explore the city

Side-by-side

End our days making love

Completely satisfied

 

    Now, back visiting his home town he realizes the had he remained there he would have indeed lived in a parallel universe.

 

Chose the road less taken.

I’m glad I did!

That poem by Robert Frost

I read it as a kid

Followed it to New York

One September day

Leaving my hometown

Eight hundred Miles away


Being back I wonder

What my life would be

If I lived here in the country

What would become of me?

 

In a parallel universe I stayed                       

After college I moved back to town

No other plans were made

 

Got a job

Got a dog right by my side

Settling for a slower life

Completely satisfied!

 

Wouldn’t know any better

Any worse

In that parallel universe

 

…..

 

In a parallel universe I stayed

We bought a house together

Front porch, sipping lemonade

 

Deep in love

You here by my side

Two country boys, the simple life

Completely satisfied

 

Couldn’t ask for someone better

To converse

In our parallel universe


    And he finally realizes that if he hadn’t chased his dreams, left the hunky hometown boy beyond, he would have not survived.

 

If I hadn’t chased my dreams, put myself first

I’d be in that parallel universe

I’d be in that parallel universe

 

    This film clearly reveals how sometimes a man has to leave his provincial lover behind or convince him to more on into the larger world.

 

Los Angeles, August 2, 2026

Reprinted from My Queer Cinema blog (August 2026).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Index R-Z

Angelo Raaijmakers I, Adonis / 2021 Peeter Rabane Firebird / 2021   Tyler Rabinowitz Catalina / 2022 Tyler Rabinowitz See You Soon / 20...