Monday, August 3, 2026

Douglas Messerli | Provincial Loves [introduction]

PROVINCIAL LOVES

by Douglas Messerli

 

Given the fact that so many millions of young men and women throughout the world who having grown up in rural areas move to urban areas, it should come as no surprise that the genre of leaving an early close friend or loved one behind is as old as literary history. One might even argue that the Odyssey is just such a story, although its hero spends most of his time struggling to return home. But as writers throughout history have observed again and again, you cannot really return home; nothing is the same and you would have been a different person had you stayed “back home of the farm,” especially after having seen “gay Paree.” 


      My collections of queer essays have already contained a great many stories of provincial loves. But it was still interesting to me that the genre had even migrated into the 21st century queer films I was observing. Some I have collated into other variances of the genre, such the French film by Olivier Peyon Lie with Me (2022). Others simply speak for themselves. But I have collected 4 of these films and one music video, with only the video representing a US production. The others, French, Spanish, Italian, and Dutch— Bernard Alapetite and Cyril Legann’s Like a Brother (2005), David Velduque’s No Place Like Home (2017), Alice Rohrwacher’s Italian-based Happy as Lazarro (2018), and Joren Molter’s Dust (2018)—represent the usual pattern: a young man has fallen in love with a local boy, often a lifetime friend; yet his love is not reciprocated, even rejected, sometimes violently, and he has no choice but to move away physically or, if nothing else, as in Dust, socially. The video by American singer Kyle Mottsinger expresses it quite clearly, he even attempting to imagine what his life might have been like had he remained back in the country with the truly handsome hunk he left behind, where, he now realizes, we would not have been able to survive in that “parallel universe.”

     What all of these boys and young men quickly realize is that in some way their must move on to different worlds, to spaces that are not as enclosed or dismissive of their sexuality. Generally, their move to urban settings is what permits them to become who they really are, changing them so completely that when they re-encounter their boyhood crushes, they can hardly recognize the young men they have become.

     I might easily have been able to make a selection of films representing this genre from every couple of decades, but I finally chose these particular works because I wanted to reiterate just how important this form has been to the gay imagination. And these films seemed to all suggest different versions of the common experience.

     After I had left home, and gone off to the university in Madison, Wisconsin, I suddenly was visited by a young woman who I had taken to prom. It had not been a serious relationship; I had once visited her on her family’s farm and had a lovely day riding a horse with her. At the prom, since she was the class photographer, she carried a large camera around her neck. I don’t know whether or not we even danced together. But suddenly it did become apparent that she had taken my attentions quite seriously, and had come all this way from Wakesha in an attempt to reignite a relationship which had never been. I took her for sandwiches, and we walked around the campus for a short while, but what could I tell her, that I was gay, had never been truly interested in her, had never been in love? It was a sad experience, both for her and for me. Nothing was said; she made no pleas; did not attempt to remind me of our “special days.” But I realized, and suppose she eventually she did as well, that there was no going back—at least for me. I have always wondered what she had hoped to achieve by her surprise visit, just as I wonder what Romain might have imagined happening by his meeting up again with Sebastien/Zack in Paris in Like a Brother. My “girlfriend” returned home, disappointed I fear, while I never looked back.

 

Los Angeles, August 3, 2026

Reprinted from My Queer Cinema blog (August 2026).  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Index R-Z

Angelo Raaijmakers I, Adonis / 2021 Peeter Rabane Firebird / 2021   Tyler Rabinowitz Catalina / 2022 Tyler Rabinowitz See You Soon / 20...