Saturday, July 25, 2026

Andrew Keenan Bolger | Mickey's Army / 2023 || Narineh Tahmasebian | I Love Nancy Meyers / 2023 || Ethan Fuirst | Rumpelstiltskin / 2023 || Blake Lucius Giffey | Throckadacia / 2023 || Eva Malmberg | Boybend / 2023 || Apa Agbayani |Somewhere All The Boys Are Birds / 2023 || Hannah Rafkin |Crush Icebergs / 2022 || Devin Rowe | The Prince’s Dilemma / 2023

pop! goes my cultural balloon

by Douglas Messerli

 

Eric Ulloa (screenplay), Andrew Keenan Bolger (director) Mickey's Army / 2023 [11 minutes]

Narineh Tahmasebian (screenwriter and director) I Love Nancy Meyers / 2023 [15 minutes]

Ethan Fuirst and Patrick Ness (screenplay), Ethan Fuirst (director) Rumpelstiltskin / 2023 [8 minutes]

Blake Lucius Giffey (screenwriter and director) Throckadacia / 2023 [13 minutes]

Eva Malmberg (screenwriter and director) Boybend / 2023 [14 minutes]

Apa Agbayani (screenwriter and director) Somewhere All The Boys Are Birds / 2023 [11 minutes]

Hannah Rafkin (screenwriter and director) Crush Icebergs / 2022 [15 minutes]

Devin Rowe (screenwriter and director) The Prince’s Dilemma / 2023 [5 minutes]

 

Nearly all my life, whenever I have interacted with others in social situations, because of my preference for the difficult and complexity in literature, performance, and art, I have been described as an elitist, a term I detest and have come to perceive as being tossed out in derision whenever anyone wants to ask questions instead of making popular pronouncements.

     I admit to publishing difficult writers and classic works in translations of great complexity, and I hope that my own writing expresses some of just those concerns. But I have also been a fond supporter of Broadway theater, in particular shows in the musical genre, a love which some of my more refined friends have been curious about, many responding that they just can’t relate to a form of theater in which otherwise normal folk suddenly break into song.

     Well, it’s just a pop form, I’d argue, as when Welsh miners in one another’s company, suddenly fall into choral harmony, or when a few drunk Germans can no longer resist getting up and dancing the zwiefacher.


      Only a few years ago, Neil Patrick Harris, performing at the 2011 Tony Award Ceremony revealed what many had long known about Broadway, however, that “It’s Not Just for Gays Anymore,” suggesting that the dumbed-down musicals which I no longer admired and now attracts busloads of tourists, senior citizens, and suburban New Yorkers, young and old had changed the medium to which as a child I had been so very attracted:

 

If you've seen a show

Then you already know

How magical theater can be

It's a two-hour, live-action

Barely affordable, un-lip-synced version of Glee

 

So, this song goes out to the rest of you

Those who've never seen theater before

Because Broadway has never been broader

It's not just for gays anymore!

 

If you feel like someone that this world excludes

It's no longer only for dudes who like dudes

Attention every breeder

You're invited to the theater

It's not just for gays anymore!

 

The glamor of Broadway is beckoning straights

The people who marry in all fifty states

We're asking every hetero

To get to know us better-o

It's not just for gays anymore!

 

It's for fine, upstanding Christians

Who know all the songs from Grease

It's for sober-minded businessmen

Who yearn for some release 

 

    While he’s singing this wonderful ditty chorus boys and girls, gay and lesbian, dressed as sailors and nuns dance around him, lifting him to new heights.

     All those teenage years, when I thought I was merely engaged in the popular culture, it turns out I was actually involved in a world that, according to lyrics not included in the above, was beloved mostly by gays, Jews, and intellectuals. No wonder nobody in high school could comprehend where I’d been most days, after listening to and memorizing recording after recording of everything from Carousel, Oklahoma!, My Fair Lady, Finian’s Rainbow, Juno and The Most Happy Fella to West Side Story, Do Re Me, Cabaret, Candide, She Loves Me, Greenwillow, and Anyone Can Whistle. Since I didn’t know that in those days that Broadway meant “gay”—and I didn’t even quite know what “gay” really meant—I just thought I was sharing in popular culture, even if no one I knew in my hometown Marion, Iowa was participating in my pop culture forays.

    It was the same thing, in my mind, when I began reading Marcel Proust, Djuna Barnes, Robert Musil, Arthur Schnitzler, John Hawkes, Tennessee Williams, Paul Celan, Junichiro Tanizaki, and James Joyce. I certainly didn’t perceive myself as an elitist. I just liked to think and challenge by own thinking.

     I admit it, I was wrong. I guess I really was an elitist all those years when I was stupid and young. But now that I’d grown old and wise, devoting so many years to gay cinema, certainly a form that depended a great deal on popular culture, I thought I must have entered a new world where my mind might have popped open: I mean, I’d even written several pieces on David Bowie, Elton John, Queen, and Lil Nas X. Certainly I might be forgiven my obsession with Jane Bowles, whose director felt he needed to hire a psychiatrist to help cast members come to terms with her play In the Summer House.

     And yes, I’d even finally assimilated the notion of the doll Barbie becoming the major subject of a motion pictures.

     When I saw that NewFest was this year offering a series of shorts titled “Pop! Goes the Culture,” accordingly, I immediately ordered up a ticket, expecting some of the notions of pop culture I’d assimilated after so many years of writing on queer cinema.


     You can only imagine by depression when I discovered that I could hardly sit through these 8 simple-minded and utterly tedious short films, aimed it appears at the same audiences who sincerely relate to Madonna’s tenth face lift and Britney Spears’ struggles to regain control over her own finances—although even those seem intellectually provocative when you compare the empty-headed advice that the three pop cultural surrogates, Lady Slay (Shuga Cain, a sort of drag queen version of Lady Gaga), male magazine heartthrob Chad Hartman (Claybourne Elder), and pop singer Autumn Jones (Krystina Alabado) provide poor Mickey (Mark Aguirre) in Andrew Keenan Bolger’s Mikey’s Army to help him come out to his mamma (Jennifer Sanchez).

      Of course, they have to come down from their posters, wiggle themselves from their on-line images, and pull themselves out from the under the bed—quite a feat—before they can come together to provide him such profound observations that “life is all about the choices you make and what inspires those choices”; moreover, as Chad reveals, after being on his inner podcast on zen, the most important thing of all is “self love.” He and Mikey go back and forth telling each other things they like about themselves! A truly original idea!

     The singer keeps trying to rhyme words like “connected” and “accepted,” while Lady Slay gets to the heart of the matter: Enough of this nonsense! What he really needs is self-confidence. Wow, what a revelation!

     Together they wear him into shape to be able to talk to a mother until he realizes that the real issue, after all, is not the mother, she insisting that he just tell his friend that he loves him! The problem has been Mikey’s fearful revelation to the boy that he loves, not his sexual identity to the open-minded mother. They make a date.

     So ends a film whose major figures, a support group of pop culture figures, has already been put to work in Glenn Gaylor’s 2001 Boychick, where another singer, resembling Britney Spears, comes down from the wall poster to provide advice to a gay boy; Adam Baran’s Jackpot (2012), where a young man gets lessons in how to protect himself from a model in a porn magazine; and in Art Arutyunyan’s Christmas Coming Out (2021), where the endlessly reluctant young man gets the courage from his childhood toy Ranger, “Captain Courage,” to finally tell his parents about his sexuality which they have been endlessly waiting for him to reveal.

      Narineh Tahmasebian’s I Love You Nancy Myers began, at least, a little more promisingly, with two lesbians, sharing dinner for the first time, standing in a sparklingly clean kitchen island where Farrah (Charlotte Benesch), having learned to cook in France, has whipped up a delicious meal to impress her new girlfriend Beatriz (Paul Andrea Placido). Both seem very compatible feminists, attracted to one another. What could go wrong? A choice of a movie to watch proves the disaster in this case, particularly when Beatriz, clicking through Farrah’s cellphone discovers it filled with the films of Nancy Meyers.

       If you don’t who Nancy Meyers is, well you’re just…well not a female. I too had to look her up, although I had seen, rather unfortunately, several of her films including Private Benjamin (1980)—you know? with Goldie Hawn; Irreconcilable Differences (1984) with Shelley Long and Ryan O’Neal; Baby Boom (1987) with Diane Keaton, for which she wrote the script which Charles Shyer directed, The Father of the Bride 1 (1991) (2, now in its 6th edition) with Steve Martin and Diane Keaton, Martin Short performing as the snobbish, impossible to comprehend, wedding planner, Franck Eggelhoffer; and a very successful remake of  Disney’s The Parent Trap (1998) with Dennis Quaid and Natasha Richardson with that absolutely remarkably stable actor Lindsay Lohan playing the twins. 

      In case you haven’t guessed, Meyers is the queen of Rom-Com women’s films, as Beatriz reminds Farrah, that almost all take place, at one point or another, around the kitchen island, with hardly a serious feminist in the bunch—Farrah points out how much Hawn’s character had to suffer to become the soldier she was determined to become—and certainly no one from the LGBTQ community represented, unless you include Franck who appears in a role very close to the 1930’s pansy walk on.


   Of course, these girls argue, Beatriz attempting to put some sense into Farrah’s comically, romantically-stuffed head, only to discover that Farrah does actually want all those “things” that Meyers’ characters movies want: a beautiful home, husband, and kids who can gather round the kitchen island for her good cooking.

        Incidentally the kitchen island which Beatriz is now sharing with her is actually Farrah’s mother’s and father’s and the whole evening’s been a ruse of “let’s pretend.”

        Beatriz moves into a feminist analysis of what’s missing in Nancy Meyer’s films, which only leads Farrah to insist that now she knows what her role in life should be, to write a lesbian script for Meyers so that her women may be truly representative. Beatriz, it appears, finally gives up with the “heavy” talk and pulls the pretty girl into her childhood bed.

        All right, if those movies hadn’t really captured my imagination, I imagined that perhaps the next film, Ethan Fuirst’s Rumpelstiltskin might. Although I’d never thought of the Grimm Brother’s tale and the numerous international versions of it such as Tom Tit Tot (England), Whuppity Stoorie (Scotland), Gilitrutt (Iceland), Rumplcimprcampr (Russia), Pancimanci (Hungary), Myrmidon (France), etc. as being part of pop culture, although I guess an oral tale more than 4,000 years old has to be recognized as part of pop culture.

       Nonetheless, perhaps you don’t fully remember that story; I had to remind myself. A braggart miller spreads the word throughout the kingdom that his daughter can spin gold from hay. The King calls for the daughter and for three different nights, in varying sizes of rooms, demands that before morning she turn all the straw to gold or she shall die. A strange imp appears each night and proceeds to accomplish the task, the first time the girl awarding him a necklace of glass beads, the second a glass ring, and third time admitting that she had nothing left to give him. He demands her first born child, to which the silly girl agrees.

     The King marries the miller’s daughter and when her first child is born, the imp reappears, demanding it to be handed over. Trying to buy him off now with real jewels, he won’t accept them, giving her only one out: in three days’ time she must guess his name or give up the babe.

       Distressed and hopeless, the queen wanders out into the forest where, unbeknownst to the imp, she discovers him as he hops about his bonfire singing: “Tonight tonight, my plans I make, tomorrow tomorrow, the baby I take. The queen will never win the game, for Rumpelstiltskin is my name."

       When he shows up again at her doorstep, she feigns momentary confusion before providing him with the name, to which, depending upon which version you read, he runs off never to return or flies out the window on a cooking ladle. Some versions even have him digging himself a kind of grave in which he creates a chasm in the earth.

        It’s a strange a wonderful story replete with magic, horror, and motherly love. But I don’t quite know why Ethan Fuirst’s personal gay history makes reference to this tale. True, the Rumpelstiltskin of this film, a gay boy (Peter Dinklage), evidently doesn’t have luck with lovers after the first night or even, sometimes, in the first few moments. Every one of his dates (played by Noah M. Virgile, Brendan Leonard, June Buck, Daniel Illig, and Sam Oslyn) almost immediately rush off from his presence.


        But this imp doesn’t seem to mind since, he argues, he keeps them as friends, he spins the straw of failed relationships into the gold of long-term relationships. Yet given the empty and lonely nights he seems to be experienced in the few scenes of this short film, we have to wonder whether his boast is really true. Although these men all mention him as a “friend,” their relationships still appear to be rather dour and off-putting. At one point they gather to sing the wonderful Lionel Bart song from his musical Oliver:

 

OLIVER

Who will buy this wonderful morning?

Such a sky you never did see!

Who will tie it up with a ribbon, and put it in a box for me?

 

So I could see it at my leisure

Whenever things go wrong

And I would keep it as a treasure

To last my whole life long

 

      But his friends sing more like a dirge that the joyful song of the original, and it appears no one is truly infected with the spirit of the lyrics. No one is apparently willing to buy this imp’s gold, and apparently no one believes his myth of eternal friendship after the bad beginning of a love affair. This boy’s chorus is filled with sad faces, and the popular world our contemporary Rumpelstilskin imagines appears to be one of folktale and myth.

      The director of the fourth pop-oriented queer film on this NewFest list, Blake Lucius Griffey has commented that he likes to combine things “in surprising ways,” and is particularly interested in the genre of the variety show, “a natural way to bring together different pieces that do not necessarily match.”

      That certainly does seem to be the case with what appears to be an on-line talk show which Sterling (Blake Lucius Giffey) and his roommate (Jo Ellen Pellman) act out a world that includes a true mix of arts in a satire of something like a yuppy New York City version of Martha Stewart without any of the talent and style.

      Sterling’s and his roommate’s first endeavor centers around explaining to their audiences that a 6:00 party means they have to prepare dinner, while a 7:00 hour suggests only hors d’oeuvres, which is why all their parties begin at 9:00 which means serving up something like their marvelous home-made deviled eggs, a small plate of which they made up previously and proceed to taste, commenting on the excellent flavor of the relish and the paprika they added at the very last moment.

      From there they move on to a kind of chat, the roommate insisting that she always eats too quickly without proper chewing, to which Sterling comments: “Well you always are in a rush: through life, through lovers/ through food :) but that’s okay.”

      Sterling’s not happy with the tape and wants to redo it, but there is a knock on the apartment door in the middle of their shoot. It turns out to be his lover (Nick Beardslee), or should we say—witnessing what he saw on the street just before this shooting began—his ex-lover bearing flowers. How nice, he responds, but “I told you stop by next week. It is nice to see you again but we are busy, (looking to see if his roommate minds) unless you want to come in and –…” Suddenly, he realizes that the flowers are not for him and that the visit is not on his account.


      His ex-lover, it appears, in now in love with his roommate.

      Sterling reshoots the chatty scene, this time his roommate hardly able to get in a word—a problem, it appears, for anyone attempting to extemporaneously chat with Sterling.

      A short while later he has invited his ex-lover, obviously a former performer on the short to join in a strange 1960s-like group dance, in which all three performers dance in precision with Sterling while he sings.

 

Love’s a silly little game

With so many pieces to choose from

Will you be the top hat

Or the bag full of money?

Oh, it is all a shame

 

Oh it is so stupid

And foolish

This weary dreary aim

So jouv’nile

And facile

It’s really such a shame

To go to such lengths

To find such a real dud

I'd rather chew on cud

Oooooooooohh loooove it is just…..ahhgh

 

Giffey is clearly a choreographer as well.

      After the dance, he tells his Roomate that she can leave and pulls over his ex-lover to show how to properly arrange a flower vase, using the flowers his ex-lover has brought for the roommate as well as others.

      And finally, for the last event of this variety show, Sterling reads from reader “mailbag.” Today’s it’s a poem:

 

“Dearest Mailbag,

 

            I’d like to share a poem with you.”

 

            Okay

 

“I woke from the dream on a dark saturday morning

Went outside to rinse it off myself

The moon was still high and the air was blue

 

What if I floated up to the ceiling

And then went through it

And never stopped going

 

            “This is the end of the road” i thought to myself

The men in black Cadillacs said it was over

 

One day I will regret that all I have to show for my twenties is a bunch of pictures of myself

Is it legal to soft launch someone then break up with them the next day?

We come back from commercial and suddenly I’m fine

 

I never noticed how much things twinkled

Until I really started missing you

So this is how I am now?

At the mercy of a gust of wind?

 

From,

A dear reader”

 

     Sterling, someone touched by the poem doesn’t quite know how to read it. But we can perceive that it probably from his ex-lover, and through that poem and reading through the lines of his ongoing dialogue for his former “skits,” we can perceive that Sterling is one of the most monstrously self-centered individuals that has even been recorded to such Instagram, YouTube, or TikTok performances. He hasn’t a clue to his own emptiness, nor his effect upon others. Cute and talented as he is, Sterling might as well be the undesirable Rumpelstiltskin without even the alleged friends of Fiurst’s short film.

      I don’t know where or even what Throckadacia really is, but I certainly wouldn’t want to go there, and didn’t truly enjoy my visit to what might have been a smart satire which became a rather painful statement about a self-enchanted on-line performer who, in this case, is uncomfortably close to the talented but seeming clueless director of the film.


      I had far more hopes for Swedish director Eva Malmberg’s Boybend about four 30-some-year-old dykes who wanted to explore the transition from young girls who spent lives as boyband fans to taking over the role of the boyband members themselves, putting themselves in the lead instead of simply following the male gender from behind.

      We watch the four members of this boyband, a bending of the usual genders, dressing up in rather conservative male drag, which results in mostly trimming their hair and pasting on some of those shorn curls into slight three-day beards. The performers, Haspern Anna Hedman, Bob Linn Pettersson, Jessica Engwall, and Kelly Werner each take on a fairly convincing persona, while getting ready to perform in public and participating in celebrity promotional shoots.

      This group actually does write and perform music, but as the short film moved on, it was clear that they were far more interested in demonstrating their preparation for their gigs and their funny and quite satisfying interrelationships with one another than in actually carrying their quite brilliant metaphor into the real world. Although the performers do sing a rather mediocre song about the fluidity of various forms of water, river, stream, fjord, etc.—all serving as metaphor for their own clearly fluid notion of gender—it increasingly became obvious that sadly the game of drag dress-up was less interesting than their drag performances, that the metaphor was stronger than the action to which it was attached. Too bad, since this truly might have turned the pop imagine inside out or, at least, stood it on its head, helping us to realize just how ridiculous was our worship of male youth.

     The more poignant film about the dangers of fanship was presented in Apa Agbayanni’s Somewhere All the Boys Are Birds. The Philippines-born director’s work concerns a heavy fan, Benjie (Miko Tiu-Laurel) who has spent most of his youth following the music career of the popular singer Jaime Reyes, who evidently had a boyfriend name Paulo.


     Tired of all the constant attention and noise around him, when he broke up with Paulo, Jaime (Alfredo Reyes) evidently moved to New York City to escape into a private world of quiet and obscurity. But clearly, he was no more accepted in his new world, than he was as a real person in his homeland. And, it appears, that recognizing that fact he committed suicide by jumping off the building in which he lived.

      Apa Agbayani’s film begins with Benjie’s arrival in the city and his climb up the stairs to the roof of the building from which Jaime jumped. There he meets up with ghost of the popular singer, telling him of the spectacular three-day funeral that was celebrated in his homeland (no, his beloved Paulo did not attend) and of how he is still loved by fans around the world such as him.

      Jaime attempts to help Benjie to dissociate himself from the past, and realize all the potentiality of his youth. But apparently it is not to be, since near the end of the film, the ghosts asks if he’s ready just as he disappears. Will Benjie also take the leap, leaving his hand-colored photos and drawings of Jaime behind, or will he walk back down those steps and return to a real life. Alas, we suspect by the title and Benjie’s fanaticism that, like Jaimie, he may be one of the boys who feels that he too can fly off like bird to escape a world that does not fit his imagination.

      In many respects, this too is a kind of empty work, but at least it sees its characters through sympathetic or even pathetic eyes, allowing us to imbue with some small sense of dimension.

      Hannah Rafkin’s comic take, Crush Icebergs, on what it means as a young LGBTQ figure to have crush on others also provides some sort of dimension. While, she argues, that childhood heterosexual crushes are usually quite apparent and sometimes openly shared, focused on teachers, fellow classmates, and celebrities, queer crushes are very different, more like icebergs which have a small view at the top and a deep mass of ice below. At the top gays and lesbians mostly present themselves as being in love with likeable and shareable people of the same sex, handsome sports figures, music icons, and sometimes unlikely people of the same sex such as male or female action figures who saved people of the same of the opposite sex, so that the individual with a crush could imagine that he or she were the one being saved or that he or she was busy doing the saving of people just like them.


      But beneath the water, queer folks had a whole wall posted with all sorts of figures that could not be shared with anyone else. The lesbians and gay men interviewed here relate some of those strange choices, one arguing that the villain of the Disney version Beauty and the Beast, Gaston for reasons utterly different from his outward narcissism and heterosexual behavior.

      I remember seeing a pictures of the tightly panted (clearly revealing his cock) and open-shirted (featuring his hairy chest) picture of Bee-Gees’ singer Randy Gibbs which almost knocked me out with desire. I had utterly no interest in the music of the Bee-Gees and knew such fan magazine pictures was meant for female idolizers of this pop sensation; but in my imagination none of that mattered below the water where my cock stirred. He was all mine! even if I wasn’t sure what I would have done with him, having utterly no experience with sex.

      Accordingly, I found Rafkin’s metaphor rather entertaining, and believe that, regarding crushes, she is probably right. But everyone, including the one who has the crush, also knows it to be totally meaningless. The “crushee” generally doesn’t even know the dreamer exists, and if they were someone he or she might know and existed in their world, it was dangerous even to reveal an attraction.

     Crushes occur to teenage boys and girls, who soon outgrow them, just as my interest in this short, if somewhat insightful, film was not even worth the distraction. Any real interest in this film would be part of a world of sexual nostalgia that isn’t even fun to visit after a certain age when you realize how much more real your life might have been if you’d only dared to speak out and act.


     Finally, Devin Rowe’s The Prince’s Dilemma, is a kind of meek fractured fairy tale in which the Prince of all books of such tales, in this case named Philip, refused to behave in accordance with the genre, insisting he was in love with Peter. The narrator/writer uses the might of the page and pen to chase down the deviant and correct his thinking. But Philip and lover Peter escape the book, race through its pages, and hide out in unexpected corners of images until they finally are able to grab up the plumed pen and break down like a sword to battle their way through a barrage of the narrator’s conservative attempts to declare what a fairy tale prince has to be. Back in the world of Sleeping Beauty and Snow White I felt this truly was a film that might be far more entertaining and even effective if showed to children instead a wised-up audience of NewFest celebrants.

      Pop culture, at least as represented in these films, accordingly did little for me. Obviously, there are far more complex issues needed to be approached, issues perhaps hinted at here, but never fully explored. And one might certainly hope for more profound-thinking writers and directors. Pop doesn’t have to explode into thin air; it needs to be questioned as a far deeper social series of issues that might reveal the hearts of those in a time which seem so basically at war with one another. A work such as Todd Haynes’ documentary The Velvet Underground or, for that matter, any film by John Waters or Andy Warhol is far more experimental and exploratory than the younger writers and directors of these short works might ever have imagined.

 

Los Angeles, October 24, 2023

Reprinted from World Cinema Review (October 2023).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Index R-Z

Angelo Raaijmakers I, Adonis / 2021 Peeter Rabane Firebird / 2021   Tyler Rabinowitz Catalina / 2022 Tyler Rabinowitz See You Soon / 20...