tutoring the teacher
by Douglas
Messerli
Talin Agon and Araz Eleyasian
(screenplay), Araz Eleyasian (director) The
Paper Rose / 2018 [9 minutes]
As Johnny bends down to pick up the objects, the occasion of the rose,
moments of joy, and more importantly, moments of extreme tension between the
couple quickly reel through the teacher’s mind. The rose has clearly come to
represent a great many events in her life. As Johnny hands back the book and
rose, he suggests that he might be able to make another one, but Toni observes
that it was a gift, and irreplaceable for that very reason.
Still, he argues that she might be able to make another one that can’t
be destroyed unless she takes into rooms where angry 14-year-old boys can stomp
on them.
A short while later, Toni passes by the same boy with another like him,
asking “where’s the fruit,” presumably referring to Johnny, the other replying,
“Probably at home in bed crying.” The teacher stops for a moment to glare at
them before moving on.
She pulls opens a locker door—presumably inspecting it as she may have
forced to in the past—to witness a calendar marked up with the word “fag,” a
glob of what looks like cum, and a picture of a naked man marked up with the
words, “Lick if off Johnny.” In a split second she recalls her own youth when
someone threw a soccer ball at her head, screaming out “Hey dyke.”
As she leaves the building, she discovers Johnny sitting reading the
Dickens book, she responding, “I just want to make sure you’re okay.”
“They screwed up my locker again, didn’t they?” he half laughs. “I don’t
care if they think I’m gay.”
But his response is again amazingly aloof: “Shit happens. I like to come
here with Pip and….”
She finishes his sentence, “…disappear.”
“No, just read.”
Toni argues that she always identified more with Stella, Johnny arguing
“But she’s so damaged. You’re not like that.”
She confides, in a round-about way, that
the reason she stays late at school is because she doesn’t want to go home.
“Teaching is one of the only things I’m good at.”
“Don’t get lost in stories, Johnny,” she
advises her new confidant.
Johnny’s answer is surprisingly mature.
“But I’m not lost. I know who I am.”
In it, is a white paper rose. Johnny
smiles with joy.
We see Toni knocking at her lover’s
door, having apparently previously left or broken up with her. The two greet
one another with reluctant smiles, which we know will certainly shift to fuller
expressions of love given that behind Toni’s back she holds a whole bouquet of
paper roses.
Australian director Araz Eleyasian has
provided us with a film that quickly pulls its LGBTQ characters out of their
usual hurt and passive positions, giving them a self-awareness that makes it
clear they are not simply survivors but are whole beings who will prevail.
I have to admit that basically through the days I my teaching experiences I was blessed with multiple good students, and these, being college kids, did not behave like high school thugs. But there was always one special student to change your day.
Los Angeles, October 11, 2023
Reprinted from World Cinema
Review (October 2023).






No comments:
Post a Comment