love lost
and forgotten
by Douglas Messerli
Ben Hecht, Samuel Hoffenstein, André
De Toth (uncredited) (based on the
Duvivier film, Un Carnet de Bal,
Julien Duvivier (director) Lydia /
1941
In some ways, she has loved all of them, but held out because of her
passion for Mason, who having left her alone in the family’s seaside cottage,
leaves her to clear up vague events concerning what may be another
relationship, promising to return and marry her; for a long while he sends her
messages, each with a ring inside, but he never does come back to marry her. It
was while seeing both Willard and Fitzpatrick off on their way to war, that
Lydia met a young blind boy who, after visiting the hovel in which he lives,
determined to help him and his family, thus establishing her life’s commitment.
In short, Lydia is long on
talk and chronology, yet Duvivier’s sweeping camera (something he shares with Max Ophuls), the stunning sets
at the McMillan mansion, the several dance halls (Willard and Lydia remember a
unreal version of reality with dozens of harps), and the seaside cottage, along
with the costumes and the wit of Ben Hecht’s and Samuel Hoffenstein’s script
(particularly as delivered by Lydia’s grandmother), make this an absolutely
enchanting 140 minutes which is so much better than most of today’s Hollywood
films that one longs again to return to the period of the studio star-system.
Having just watched Oberon early on in career in Wedding Rehearsal and never having been able to forget her from Wuthering Heights, I’ve now become a
great Oberon fan, although I do wish she’d been offered more remarkable roles;
in this she mostly resembles the great Bette Davis, even though her gown is not
red, but only pink (again in black-and-white). And I now feel that Joseph
Cotton never played in a truly bad movie—at
least until the 1950s—he performed in Citizen
Kane the very same year as Lydia,
and followed this film up with The
Magnificent Ambersons and Shadow of a
Doubt in the very next two years. Before he died, he sent my Sun & Moon
Press the manuscript of his autobiography in the late 1980s, which was
published by another press as Vanity Will
Get You Somewhere. I wish I’d grabbed it up, but I seem to remember that
the title turned me off, and I surely felt that we couldn’t pay enough to
obtain the rights.
Cotton and Oberon, along with Duvivier’s fluid camera, should send
everyone back to Lydia for another or
first look.
Los Angeles, May 10, 2017
Reprinted from World Cinema Review (May 2017).




No comments:
Post a Comment