losers
by Douglas Messerli
Neil Simon (screenplay, based on his stage
play), Herbert Ross (director) California Suite / 1978
When I started the immense project of My
Queer Cinema I have to admit that I was rather naïve, presuming as I did
that there would be several hundred LGBTQ movies over the last decade and a
half, from which I might select my favorites or even a few of my least
favorites to present a solid view of a genre that I had just begun to realize
had been important to me throughout my life.
Yet, as I bravely moved forward, uncovering in the years since (and at
simultaneously within) those years so brilliantly catalogued by Vito
Russo in The Celluloid Closet a wide range of queer representation, it
became increasingly apparent that, although much had been written on LGBTQ
cinema in general, we needed a more encyclopedic and expanded viewing of the
thousands of films, many hidden and others who because of their niche audiences
were now simply forgotten or lost.
Accordingly, films I once thought I would never have to review now
seemed to be a necessary evil if I wanted to put these films into the larger
context, suddenly part of a constellation of thousands of films in which the
fewer films to which I had been first attracted to were created. What I was
originally viewing through a monocle shifted as I took out a pair of reading
glasses and, finally, attended to the lens of a telescope.
Herbert Ross’ version of Neil Simon’s California Suite was one of
the dozens of films to which I might otherwise have never given a second
thought—or perhaps even a first thought. Besides, I might once have argued, was
this truly an LGBTQ film?
Well, you can’t have it both ways, delving into pre-1960 films that merely hint at gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transsexual behavior and to then ignore other heterosexual impressions of LGBTQ life would seem somewhat hypocritical. And, in the case of this particular tired mess of four shorts strung together, as was Simon’s previous but somewhat more interesting Plaza Suite, the best of the now clumsily interwoven episodes at the Beverly Hills Hotel was the shtick about the bisexual Sidney Cochran (Michael Caine) married to the British actress nominated for a slight comedic role in a Hollywood movie, Diana Barrie (Maggie Smith). But I’ll save that for last.
Simon regular Walter Matthau (as Marvin Michaels) this time plays
against type as a sexually faithful and far more socially responsible being
compared with his sexually obsessed brother, Harry (Herb Edelman), who hires a
prostitute to entertain Marvin on his one night alone in Los Angeles awaiting
the arrival the next day of his wife Millie (Elaine May).
Still, this sketch is still a one-liner, dependent entirely upon the old
theatrical convention of trying to find a place to hide the lover about to be
discovered in flagrante delicto. Unfortunately, this dead-drunk bimbo
cannot even hide in a closet, under the bed, or on the balcony, and a blanket, in this
instance, does not a good cover make. Marvin has no choice but to come clean,
accept the consequences of a leaner bank account, and share a taxi with the
friendly prostitute on his and Millie’s way to the bar mitzvah they had flown
in to attend.
In
California Suite she and Alan Alda switch roles, as he dresses up in
California whites and a light pink sweater to play the straight man, Bill
Warren, to her endless cynical witticisms. Yet you know you are in trouble when
even the script calls on the straight man to praise the cleverness of the sour
comic’s one-liners. Worse yet, Simon seems to have been channeling Woody Allen
in his spew of vitriolic California put-downs. Beautiful as she is, Fonda’s
Hannah Warren is so brittle that a single match might set a whole California
forest afire.
She’s come to settle a million scores with one symbolic act, to retrieve
her disaffected daughter who has run away to join her screenwriter father in
Los Angeles. Clearly, Ross was able to convince Alda to play his character as
laid-back as a Malibu maven. Since all the chips have fallen into his lap, Bill
can simply sit it out, letting his ex-wife spin out her webs of fear that she
may be losing her daughter forever because of her clever ability to pin down everyone
and everything with a suitable barb.
There is obviously some pathos in this, and every once in a while
Simon’s suffering character hits her head on the nail so expertly you expect a
bit of bloodied truth to ooze out. It does so gradually, but in the process
drains away the humor upon which the tale is based. If Hannah has seemingly led
the perfect life, she has ended up with an alcoholic lover dying from a heart
condition, along with an endless craving for nicotine, and an empty house at
the very same moment when Bill, with daily exercise and a repudiation of
cigarettes and alcohol, has turned his life around.
I
can only say that when a writer and director get me to actually root for Alda,
I know something must have gone wrong. He actually wins the battle over who
will care for their daughter, while Hannah is merely assured by the daughter
that their love remains intact. Sob!
It doesn’t help that Sidney looks after her with the fussy attention of
a slightly frustrated housewife while his witticisms always strike their
targets more precisely than Diana’s despair-driven put-downs of a world to
which she truly doesn’t belong. Pretending she doesn’t care about the hoopla
provided her only to be whisked away immediately after the award is announced,
she’s starving—quite literally it appears since she goes on a scavenger hunt of
room service tray-top leftovers outside their neighbor’s suites—for attention,
even if it means sex with her bisexual lover who when he obliges her, generally
closes his eyes.
I
don’t know, but I presume truly bisexual men just might, in fact, enjoy their
heterosexual encounters as much as their homosexual ones. And did Simon really
have to use the cliché of antique dealer to define Sidney’s attraction to the
same sex? Moreover, since this fairly long-lasting couple do truly seem to love
one another, why does she appear to have so many druthers on this particular
night? Yes, her ego has taken a blow. But so too it must have when she was
offered the role in the trite comedic flick in which she’s just starred.
She’s aging and she fears that. We have to presume that the character
Diana has no way of knowing, like the actress who played her, that
she might get plumb roles as aristocrats and countesses later in life. So, we
can surmise, she’s simply spilling a few tears over some spoilt semen. As soon
as she gets back to London to be killed off as Desdemona she’ll be all right.
If
there is a common theme throughout the four segments of California Suite,
it arises from the suggestion that all of the major figures of this film are
losers or would-be losers. The vacationing doctors, Gump and Panama, are surely
now afraid of losing each other’s friendship. Sidney Cochran has lost, if
nothing else, his marital virginity; surely he will never again be the
patriarchal head of the Cochran house. Hannah Warren will continue to be
terrified of losing her daughter. Diana Barrie will be equally fearful about
losing her husband and her status as an actor. But profound or even truly
humorous cannot describe this work.
If
you’ve never quite understood the true meaning of irony, here’s a definition:
for her role in this slick and mediocre comedy Maggie Smith was nominated for
an Oscar. And she won.
Los Angeles, November 6, 2020
Reprinted from My Queer Cinema blog and
World Cinema Review (November 2020).




No comments:
Post a Comment