out of the blue
by Douglas Messerli
Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger (screenplay, based on the novel by
Becky Albertalli), Greg Berlanti (director) Love, Simon / 2018
Watching the new teen comedy, Love, Simon, yesterday I realized it is not truly a gay story; in fact, we see little of young Simon Spiers’ (Nick Robinson) sexual desires, and even he admits that he is just like everyone else around him. His friends, a long-time (13 years) woman acquaintance, Leah (Katherine Langford), a black woman who has more recently moved to his Atlanta suburb, Abby (Alexandra Shipp), and a black-Hispanic male, Nick (Jorge Lendeborg, Jr.) might represent the most correct coalition of high school relationships possible. Simon is not just “normal,” but almost a model for what young folks should be in this world of anti-racist and forgiving sexuality. Both of his parents, particularly his psycho-therapist mother, Emily (Jennifer Garner), along with his father, Jack (Josh Duhamel) are liberal, and even their son admits that if he told that that he was gay, they would probably be quite accepting. Clearly, this studio movie argues, times have changed from The Boys in the Band, the play and movie which defined my own generation.
My
companion Howard has expressed that his greatest fear of being gay was that he
would become one of the mincing fairies represented in Mart Crowley’s Boys in the Band, and, by and large,
that is just what Simon fears, that in telling everyone he is gay he will
become someone else than he is actually. Throughout the film, he keeps
insisting that he is the same person that he has always been, perhaps
suggesting that he has been a kind of perfect person. I don’t think all young
people register that.
I
have never had those fears, but I certainly did fear speaking to my parents
about my sexuality; and when I did, as I’ve noted several times in My Year volumes, they arose from the
dinner table and left Howard and me in Washington, D.C., as they quickly made
their way back to Iowa. It was a devastating act that, even if they later came
to accept me, from which I never quite recovered. Now, in their minds, I was
not the same son who had grown up in their house. So, I certainly do know where
Simon is coming from. Being gay was not the issue, sharing the fact,
particularly with parents and friends, was another problem.
As
the film casually explores, all young teenagers are in similar positions, being
afraid to lay their emotions on the line, fearing to express love for one
another because of the possibility of rejection or to tell of their own private
fears because they might suddenly be mocked by their multiple interlinking
“groups.”
Perhaps, like Ethan (Clark Moore)—an apparently transgender student, who
announces early on that she is also “gay”—being an outsider, as I was, may
actually be an advantage. Being an “insider,” as is Simon, creates problems
that doesn’t easily allow an admission of “outsiderness.”
Much of this lovely film is simply a detective story, as Simon attempts
to uncover the young man with whom is has now fallen in love. At first, he
suspects Bram (Keiynan Lonsdale), but when he discovers him about to engage in
sex with a female classmate, crosses him off the list.
At
last, he suspects a young gay-looking boy, who, when he finally confronts him,
also leads to a wrong alley.
In
comes the film’s only real villain, the clumsy, comical, and self-serving
Martin Addison (Logan Miller), the true outsider of this school community, who
has a crush on Simon’s friend Abby and who, after discovering Simon’s
communication with “Blue” on a school internet connection, blackmails Simon
into helping him get a date. In doing so, Simon betrays all of his friends,
trying to rearrange their social involvements at the very moment when such
young people are already simply “scared” to express them. In short, to protect
his own neck, Simon makes their own “coming out” commitments impossible. When,
after a completely failed and utterly comic attempt to woo Abby, Martin finally
releases Simon’s on-line messages, the young hero is now utterly shunned.
Unintentionally is has accomplished just what he most feared: he is now
“someone else,” a person excluded by the very people he was fearful might
abandon him.
After a high school musical production of Cabaret, Simon signs on again, this time pleading with the
mysterious “Blue,” to show up on the Ferris Wheel after the production to take
that wild ride of ups and downs with him. At first it does not seem that his
plea will work, and even the always clumsy, John Belushi-like clown, Martin
arrives to argue that he is actually “Blue,” the idea of which Simon, and we,
reject. Fortunately, Bram arrives at the very last moment to take a seat next
to Simon and ride up to the skies before returning to earth again. I can’t tell
you why, but I knew Bram was “Blue” all along. Maybe, as an actor, he was just
too convincing in the role.
In
the end, Greg Berlanti’s teen comedy does not truly plow deep territory, but
its concerns about speaking out does, and I now believe it screams volumes
about young people speaking out, particularly after what we have just witnessed
when the Marjory Stoneman High School students from Parkland and millions of
other teenagers have seemingly come to life and intelligently spoken up and out
about something that has long been troubling them and the entire country—far
more tragic than their sexuality! If my legs were stronger, I would have loved
to have marched along with them on the very same day I was watching this movie.
But my mind is still functioning, and my gift, I hope, is that I can still
write.
Los Angeles, March 25, 2018
Reprinted from World Cinema
Review (March 2018).





No comments:
Post a Comment