straight talk to the queer guy
by Douglas Messerli
Nicholas Rowley (screenwriter and
director) Gay Talk / 2024 / [3 minutes]
Two grown friends sit smoking a
joint in a car, when Henry suddenly says, “If you’re gay, that’s okay. I still
love you man.”
The other shouts out: “For the last fucking time, I’m not gay. If anyone’s
fag it’s you!”
Henry asks him what’s he smoking in derision, although his friend takes
it literally and argues that they’re sharing the same joint.
But I have a girlfriend, insists Henry, while his friend has been single
for his whole life.
Yeah, because bitches mean shit.
They continue their name calling, misogynistic blather, and other abuses.
Henry’s friend wonders if he really even likes his girlfriend, pointing out
that after three months of being together that they haven’t even slept together
yet. “She’s probably cheating on you by now.”
Henry calls him an asshole for suggesting he was a fag. His “friend,”
arguing he’s his best “fucking” friend in the whole world calls him dipshit, to
which again Henry takes offense.
Henry insists that he has to treat kinder, his friend responding does he
want to be treated like a girl.
“I just wanted to be treated with kindness, that doesn’t make me a girl.”
“I treat girls with kindness, so that makes you a girl.”
Henry retorts that he’s not seen his friend treat any girl nice. “You’re
a fucking misogynist.”
His dumb, bad-mouthed, and frankly not very appealing friend doesn’t even
know what the word means.
Again, he calls his friend a fag, to which Henry suggests proves he’s “projecting.”
The friend suggests that his gay talk has clearly made him
uncomfortable, Henry reversing the argument arguing it is his friend that is
clearly uncomfortable. Henry gets out to leave, but his friend runs after him,
calling him back.
If it hasn’t been made clear where this one-liner of a film is going,
Henry suddenly admits he is gay, and he doesn’t love Stephanie. His friends
leans forward and kisses him on the lips.
His friend now admits that indeed he was projecting. So much for any
need of further conversation. This film creates an imaginary and rather
frightening scenario of how nervous gay boys need to speak dirty in order to
come out to one another.
I can assure you, I’ve never seen such made-up figures in real life thank
god. And this empty short film is pure bull-shit even though I am sure it sees
itself as an outrageous satire.
Los Angeles, August 26, 2026
Reprinted from My Queer Cinema blog
(August 2026).


No comments:
Post a Comment