Saturday, October 10, 2026

Adrian Benjamin Burke | Adrian Benjamin Burke

street-lite

by Douglas Messerli

 

Adrian Benjamin Burke (screenwriter and director) A Soldier's Choice / 2008 [10 minutes]

 

This work, about a Marine private, John Rossi (Mike Lavoie) who meets up with the man of his dreams, the equally convivial Damon Conrad (Matthew Steffens) in a Hell’s Kitchen gay bar in New York City, is strictly amateur, including its acting, script, sound, and cinematic techniques. The actors shout their clichéd lines and wait patiently for the other to interrupt their half-expressed phrases such as “What about…?” as the camera wonders down the street without them.

     What it’s about is a local New Yorker desperate to find his ideal mate, and who, in fact, thinks he has stumbled upon him that very same night, when a Marine says he won’t go home with him until after they have a dinner date.


      The very next evening, they have that dinner date; but alas, Rossi’s unit has just been called up to go to Afghanistan and because of his duty he daren’t even partake of sex for a single night because it might distract him. From what, isn’t established. And you’d think a bit of relief might better help to keep his mind on his business—although that may also be the problem. But, in any event, this is “a soldier’s choice.” He knew what he was getting into right from the start. And even if he’s getting wet with anticipation of having sex with Damon, Johnny won’t give in since he is about to ship out.

      It’s hard to know what to make of this silly 10-minute version of a 1940s get-ready-to-go-to-war drama. It might have once served as source material for a Theatre of the Ridiculous play, except there’s nothing much to it other than lines such as “Look at me, I’m wet. Such a fucker! …I have a duty.”

      It isn’t that Damon doesn’t try to keep his boy down on the city streets. “A duty? A duty to what? That faggot Bush? You’re putting your life at risk for bullshit!”

      But it’s no go for this proud marine. “I know you think I’m crazy, but it’s my life! I wish I could stay with you. I’ve never met anyone like you. But I can’t (turns to leave, and does so.)

      If you decide to watch this film, you might find its deepest pleasures in its on-location Hell’s Kitchen street scenes. They’re pretty at night.

 

Los Angeles, May 3, 2023

Reprinted from World Cinema Review (May 2023).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Index O-Z

Dave O'Brien Straight Boys / 2005 Nick Oceano El primo ( The Cousin ) / 2008  Ken Ochiai Phoenix / 2006 Carlos Ocho Relación Abierta ...